Giving an identity to every citizen in the country is the government’s motive for Aadhaar card. Every citizen has to be accounted for what ensures the headcount and will be registered with the government.
Aadhaar card in India is similar to the Social Security System of the United States of America.
To obtain all benefits from the government, Aadhaar card is a must. With that being said, you need to link your Aadhar card to every other government provided identity card like PAN card, bank accounts, and your Mobile Phone too.
If you do not link it in either of them, the services will be suspended until you do so.
Today, we will discuss various methods to link your mobile number with Aadhaar Card.
There are two scenarios here:
- You are linking your phone number for the first time.
- You need to replace the phone number that you have already linked to your Aadhaar number.
- 1 First-time Aadhaar Card link
- 2 Update Phone Number to Your Aadhaar Card
- 3 Aadhaar Mobile Verification
- 4 Link Mobile Number Online with Aadhaar
- 5 How to Check If the Phone Number Is Linked with Aadhar Card or Not
- 6 Conclusion
Let’s talk about linking your phone number for the first time. Since you are doing it for the very first time, you would need to do it offline, meaning you have to visit any center and fill a form to link your Aadhaar card.
The main reason is, all online transactions are verified using an OTP (One Time Password) sent to the registered mobile number. Since your number is yet to be registered, it is not possible to update it online.
Follow These Steps to Link Mobile Number with Aadhaar Card for the First Time:
- Visit your near nearest Aadhaar center to obtain a form to add or update your phone number.
- You have an option to download the form online too. Click here to download the form.
- Fill out the form with all the required information and mention that only the mobile number needs to be added or updated.
- You would need to submit any two of these documents along with the filled-out form:
- Photocopy of your Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Voters ID
- Drivers license
- Ration / PDS photo card
- Government Photo ID cards / Service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM card
- Photo Credit card
- Pensioner Photocard
- Freedom Fighter Photocard
- Kissan Photo Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Photo Card
- Address card having name and photo issued by Department of Posts
- Certificate of Identity having Photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Disability ID card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State / UT Governments / Administrators
- Once you have provided any of these documents, you need to verify your biometrics at the enrollment center
- You will be given an acknowledgment slip and it usually takes 2 – 5 working days for the government systems to be updated
- As per the UIDAI helpline, it takes 10 days for the process to be completed
Update Phone Number to Your Aadhaar Card
This is an easy process compared to the previous one.
Since you already have a registered phone number, you could just follow these steps to update it online.
- Once you make the request to update your phone number, an OTP will be sent to your current registered phone number
- Using this OTP, you could update the new mobile number online
- Once you visit the UIDAI portal, you will need to enter your Aadhar number and a captcha verification, and then Submit it
- You will then receive an OTP to your current registered number.
- Using this new OTP, select ‘Mobile Number’ under the ‘Select field(s) to update’ section
- Enter the new mobile number and then submit
Aadhaar Mobile Verification
A new system has been implemented by all mobile operators to verify your Aadhaar card. You could verify or re-verify it using this service.
You need to call 14546, which is a toll-free number to verify your Aadhaar number. The 12-digit identification number provided by the government will be verified during this call.
The IVRS facility will help you verify the Aadhaar number, and in case you are unable to do it, you will be redirected to an agent trained to help you process this request.
Remember that the Aadhaar card is now a document in KYC (Know Your Customer). If you have not applied for one, you better do it at the earliest and link the same wherever necessary.
There is a link available from UIDAI to register your mobile online too. Please click here to check on the same.
Once you open that link, you will see fields like Aadhaar number, email, and mobile with a captcha as a security protocol. Fill up all the details and click on ‘Get OTP’.
You will receive an OTP to the number that you have registered. You then need to enter the received OTP to complete the verification process.
Link Mobile Number Online with Aadhaar
You could link your mobile phone to the Aadhaar card online by following these simple steps. Ensure that you provide accurate information while updating any forms online or on paper so that you will not have to go through the same process again to correct your information.
- Visit the UIDAI website
- Select “Enrollment & Update” tab and click on “Aadhaar Data Update.”
- On the new page, under the Reference Links column, click on “Aadhaar Data Update Form.”
- Download the Aadhaar Correction form and then fill out the form by taking a print out.
- Mention your 12-digit unique identification number and all the relevant details requested in the form
- Take the photocopy of the documents that you plan to submit as a proof of address (POA). Mention them in the form. You could check the list of documents that you can submit in the list I mentioned earlier
- Once you complete filling the form, sign the form or provide a thumbprint
- Verify the information entered to be accurate and list of documents attached to avoid any error.
- Send the application by post to this address: Box No.10, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh – 480001 or UIDAI Post Box No.99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 500034
Once the update has been made in the system, UIDAI will send a confirmation message to your linked phone number.
You could also find out this information online through the UIDAI website.
Now that we have discussed the methods to update or link your mobile number with Aadhaar card. Next, we will talk about how to find out if the mobile number is already linked or not.
How to Check If the Phone Number Is Linked with Aadhar Card or Not
Check the Status by Calling
Before visiting your mobile operator, you could check to see if the phone number is already verified or not.
- Call to 198 and check with them to see if the Aadhaar card is linked or not.
- You would need to provide your Aadhaar number and the phone number you wish to verify.
- You will be provided with the details accordingly.
You should receive a confirmation message from UIDAI stating that the Aadhaar card has been linked to the respective phone number. You will be reminded through frequent messages from your mobile operator to link your Aadhaar card if it is not yet verified.
A good to know the information is that you cannot link someone else’s Aadhaar card or phone number since the fingerprint verification should match on both the places. If it doesn’t match, then the linking process will be unsuccessful.
Self – Service Update Portal
The last topic that I would like to discuss regarding the linking of a phone number to Aadhaar card would be the self-service portal.
If you have an Aadhaar card and you wish to update the information yourself, visit the UIDAI website and update the same. Click here to check this portal.
This website talks about all the ways to link or update/correct any information with respect to the Aadhaar card. You have an option to download the Aadhaar card from this website itself.
You would need to provide relevant information to obtain it though.
A step by step process for every issue you could face has been explained here, which will provide a better understanding of the process and you could do it all by yourself.
Most of them are self-explanatory; however, you might need outside help to achieve or submit a few of these documents.
Aadhaar card has been made mandatory in all forms of business or personal banking accounts, mobile operators, mobile applications dealing with payment gateways and fund transfers between accounts.
Ensure to apply for an Aadhaar card if you don’t have one at the earliest by going to the nearest Aadhaar center.
Mobile operators pester you with messages to update your Aadhaar card on a regular basis, and you should adhere to this request.
If not, the service will be suspended until you update the same.
In order to avoid service disruption, I would recommend you to link mobile number with Aadhaar card information as soon as possible.