IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It is used by the network provider to identify valid devices and can be used to track a stolen phone to stop accessing the network. Here, we will learn about how we can change the IMEI number of our mobile phones.
Irrespective of the device type that you use, you can change the IMEI number using 2 methods:
- No root
Why do you need to change the IMEI number? To unlock the phone to use it in a different country or may be to change the profile of the phone. It works for both Android and iPhone alike. Some countries consider this to be illegal and you may have to face issues as well.
Let’s talk about the advantages and disadvantages of IMEI number before we move ahead discussing how to change the IMEI number for your information.
- Customize your phone by using various modules as per your need
- Changing the IMEI number means unlocking your phone to use it with any network service provider
- Everything will work as normal along with the Operating system updates
- Makes your phone untraceable
- You will be void of warranty
- IMEI number conflict will render the phone unusable
- Illegal in many countries
- If the phone is lost or stolen, you will not be able to trace it due to this change
Let’s talk about changing the IMEI number for both Android and iPhone, with rooting and without rooting.
Change the IMEI number With Rooting
This method is applicable to both iPhone and Android devices. First, you will need to check if your device is rooted or not by simply checking the same on a Root checker application. If the device is rooted, this method will work best for you to change the IMEI number for both the devices.
The main advantage of rooting your phone is that the warranty of your mobile will still be available and the data will be secure on your phone if you forgot to save it elsewhere.
What do you need to change the IMEI number with Rooting?
- Rooted Phone (Android/iPhone)
- An application which allows you to install modules to customize your phone like Xposed
You can download this application at: https://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk
- IMEI changer Application installed
- Good Internet connection recommended
How to Change the IMEI Number
Before you attempt to change the IMEI number, I would recommend you to do a full back of your phone’s data as a precaution.
Follow these steps to change your IMEI number:
- Dial *#06# to get your current IMEI number and save it for future reference
- Xposed can be used to tick on IMEI changer module
- After doing these precautionary steps, you can restart your device
- You’ll see 2 IMEI numbers, your original and the changed one
- Enter the new IMEI number at the relevant field and Apply
- Another restart should make the changes visible to you
- Dial *#06# to see the changed IMEI number
Both Android and iPhone devices can be unlocked by changing the IMEI number.
However, I would not recommend doing it since it is illegal in many nations and the possibility of conflicts with the same IMEI number being used by someone else is high.
Change the IMEI number without Rooting
It is not mandatory to have the phone rooted to change the IMEI number. You most certainly can change it without rooting your phone too. But, ensure that you have all the necessary data backup done before you start doing it. This back up is not required for rooted phones but there is no harm in keeping a backup of your data.
This method also has similar steps as the rooting method to change the IMEI number. However, there is a slightly different method for Android users to change it without rooting.
The basic precautions will still be applicable to ensure that there is no loss of data and a few changes that I will talk about is needed to be followed to change the IMEI number without rooting.
What do you need to Change the IMEI Number without Rooting?
- Any non-rooted Android or iPhone device
- MTK chipset (mandatory for dual sim devices) using an application if you are unable to access a computer to make this change
- Good Internet connection
Step to Change the IMEI Number without Rooting
- Download any IMEI changer application from Google Play Store or iTunes
- Install and run the application
- Go to ‘Engineer Mode’
- Select ‘Engineer Mode(MTK)’
- Slide screen from Right to Left, connectivity Option will be visible
- Once here, check CDS Information
- Next ‘Radio Information’
- For dual sim phones, you will need to select the SIM for which you wish to change the IMEI number, default option would always select SIM 1.
- Next, choose ‘Phone 1’
- Top of the screen find AT+ and then write AT+EGMR=1,7”IMEI1” for SIM1
- Next, choose ‘Phone 2’
- Write AT+EGMR=1,7”IMEI2” to change the IMEI for SIM2
- For each time you enter that command and you receive a notification as successfully, you need to reboot the device.
Due to various legal complications, many countries do not allow for an IMEI number to be changed, since the phone will be untraceable and can be used to do various illegal activities.
The latest models are being designed in a way to not make such changes going forward. Personally speaking, you will compromise your data on the phone if the same number is used by a different user at a different location. Doing this change has the possibility of making your phone unusable.
Privacy is a much-needed luxury in this transparent world and everyone will yearn for it on a daily basis. When it comes to these devices, an untraceable phone is a very good option to attain that privacy. It’s not wrong to say that you cannot go off the grid in this technological age since you are being monitored 24/7 in various ways by various governments or agencies. Changing the IMEI number is being used for illegal purposes more often than something good.
Effective ways of tweaking are being invented every day and anyone can stumble upon your IMEI number which would put you at risk.